My cart is damaged, what should I do?
  • You should call Waste Pro at 954-967-4200 or Environmental Services at 954-967-4526. Staff will be able to assist you with a work order for repair or replacement. Remember, Garbage and recycling carts remain the property of the City. The owner and/or occupant shall be responsible for charges associated with replacement of any city-owned receptacle damaged due to negligence or abuse.

Show All Answers

1. What is Bulk Waste?
2. What specific changes were made to the bulk waste collection?
3. What material is considered unacceptable?
4. What is Yard Waste?
5. Can my landscaper place my yard waste out for collection?
6. What specific changes were made to the yard waste collection?
7. Will Commingled Collections resume after October 1, 2020 and why did the change occur?
8. What happens if I mix my bulk waste and yard waste together for collection?
9. What happens if I place my material out for collection outside of my collection schedule?
10. Where should I place my bulk waste or yard waste?
11. Can I store my garbage and recycling carts in the alley?
12. What time must my carts be placed for service? When do I need to bring it back?
13. My cart is damaged, what should I do?
14. What if I provided my own garbage or recycle receptacle for collection?