Broward County October Jobs Increased by 33,600 Year-Over-Year (+4.1%)
Broward County’s job report indicated a 4.2 percent unemployment rate in October 2021. This rate was 1.9 percentage points lower than the region's year ago rate of 6.1 percent. The labor force was 1,062,260, up 57,893 (+5.8 percent) over the year. There were 44,786 unemployed residents in the region.
Nonagricultural employment in the Ft. Lauderdale-Pompano Bch-Deerfield Bch Metro Division was 843,400, an increase of 33,600 jobs (4.1 percent) over the year.
Data and Analysis
Broward County COVID-19 crisis recovery efforts are continuing to show positive results. In the month of October, the majority of industries gained jobs compared to the previous year, with the exception of Financial Activities (-900 jobs, -1.4%).
The leisure and hospitality (+18.0 percent); other services (+10.9 percent); construction (+7.9 percent); and education and health services (+4.6 percent) industries grew faster in the metro area than statewide over the year.
The Ft. Lauderdale-Pompano Bch-Deerfield Bch Metro Division had the second fastest annual job growth rate compared to all the metro areas in the state in the Leisure and Hospitality industry (+18.0%).
Month to month growth comparison shows a slight decrease in a few industries.
Florida’s seasonally adjusted unemployment rate was 4.6 percent in October 2021, down 0.2 percentage point from the September 2021 rate, and down 1.2 percentage points from a year ago. There were 491,000 jobless Floridians out of a labor force of 10,590,000. The U.S. unemployment rate was 4.6 percent in October. Florida’s seasonally adjusted total nonagricultural employment was 8,902,400 in October 2021, an increase of 41,500 jobs (+0.5 percent) over the month. The state gained 428,600 jobs over the year, an increase of 5.1 percent. Nationally, the number of jobs rose 4.1 percent over the year.
The October 2021 total nonagricultural employment has not reached the pre-pandemic levels in February 2020.