Since the outbreak of COVID-19, numerous local governments have adopted various versions of orders that request that all persons outside their homes wear a facial covering consistent with the current CDC guidelines. These orders are designed to protect the health and well-being of the community by slowing the spread of COVID-19.
Broward County Emergency Order 20-23 is more restrictive than the City regarding the use of facial coverings, including requiring their use while exercising. All visitors to the City of Hollywood must follow the Broward County order which in part states:
- Facial coverings are recommended to be worn at all times when near other persons who are not members of your household.
- Exceptions to the facial covering requirement includes: while eating, drinking, or receiving goods or services from a business or establishment or at a private residence, but only for the shortest practical period of time during which such activity precludes the wearing of a facial covering while receiving a facial grooming; while swimming or otherwise in a pool, ocean, or other body of water, provided that social distancing of at least six feet (6’) between persons not of the same household is maintained to the maximum extent practicable; or when subject to an express facial covering exemption in the Broward County Emergency Order.
All visitors to the City of Hollywood and Broward County are encouraged to read the Broward County Emergency Orders.
CITY OF HOLLYWOOD EMERGENCY ORDER 2020-06 REQUIRED PUBLIC USE OF FACIAL COVERINGS
The City of Hollywood is aware of confirmed cases of COVID-19 within its jurisdictional boundaries. To limit the potential community spread of COVID-19, it is now necessary for the City of Hollywood to continue to implement restrictions for the general health, safety, and welfare of the community.
THEREFORE, pursuant to Section 252.38(3) and 252.46, Florida Statutes and Section 1.01 of the Charter of the City of Hollywood, as well as Section 40.01, City Code of the City of Hollywood, the City has the power to issue emergency orders with the force of law. The City Manager has expressly been authorized to issue Emergency Orders.
IT IS HEREBY ORDERED:
1. Purpose. The purpose of this Emergency Order is set forth in the recital clauses above and the recital clauses are incorporated and made a part of this Order.
2. Establishment of Required Use of Facial Coverings. Pursuant to CDC guidelines, all persons beyond the legal boundary of their residential property are required to wear a facial covering consistent with current CDC guidelines that cover the nose and mouth, including individuals within the common areas of all buildings with multiple residences and at their place of employment unless exempted by Emergency Orders issued by the Governor of the State of Florida or Broward County.
The following individuals shall be exempted from this order:
- A child under two years of age
- An individual who has one or more medical conditions or disabilities that prevent wearing a face covering
- An individual obtaining a service involving the nose or face for which temporary removal of the face covering is necessary to perform the service
- An individual who is employed in a profession where use of a face covering will not be compatible with the duties of the profession
- A person who is engaged in exercise activity such as walking, running, jogging, skating, bicycling, etc., while maintaining a six foot distance from other individuals. If a distance of six feet is not possible, a facial covering must be worn.
3. Enforcement. This Order is in addition to and supplements the City’s Declarations of State of Emergency, City Emergency Orders, County Emergency Orders, and State of Florida Executive Orders, and shall be strictly adhered to at all times. This Order may be enforced by the Hollywood Police Department and Code Compliance Division through issuance of warnings and/or civil citations pursuant to the provisions of Chapter 252, Florida Statutes, and other applicable state, County and City laws, rules and regulations, or through the issuance of Code Violations and Notices of Violation pursuant to applicable provisions of Florida law, Chapter 162, Florida Statutes, and City Codes.
4. Effective Date. This Emergency Order is effective upon its issuance and shall remain in full force and effect until terminated.
ORDERED ON THIS 25th DAY OF JUNE, 2020, HOLLYWOOD, BROWARD COUNTY, FLORIDA.
Ordered by: Dr. Wazir Ishmael, City Manager
Frequently Asked Questions