The cleanup is underway from the flooding rains that soaked eastern Broward County this week. The weather this weekend is expected to be mostly sunny with a stronger chance of rain on Sunday. The risk of additional flooding remains elevated due to ground saturation, including more than 18" inches of rainfall on Wednesday. On April 13th, Mayor Josh Levy declared a local state of emergency due to the flooding rains. Governor DeSantis has also declared a state of emergency.
Residents are advised to continue to avoid any areas of standing water or street flooding.
CREWS WORKING THROUGHOUT THE CITY
Crews continue to clear storm drains, streets, and monitor the operation of pumps.
GARBAGE COLLECTIONS HAVE RESUMED - PLEASE HELP RETRIEVE YOUR GARBAGE AND RECYCLING CARTS
WastePro garbage and recycling collections have resumed per the normal collection schedule as of Friday, April 14th. Due the flooding, many grey garbage carts and blue recycling carts became dislocated, floating down streets and alleyways. City sanitation customers are asked to make their best efforts to locate and restore their garbage carts to their correct location. Many customers have marked carts with their house numbers, this should assist in restoring carts to the correct property. If you have neighbors who are elderly or disabled and you are able to assist them with their carts, please do so.
SPECIAL BULK COLLECTIONS MONDAY, APRIL 17 TO WEDNESDAY, APRIL 18
Many in our community will be dealing with the impact of the flood for some time with floodwaters damaging homes and cars. To help make the cleanup a little easier, the City of Hollywood has coordinated with WastePro to set up a special bulk collection for Monday through Wednesday. WastePro customers across the City can put out household items such as furniture, mattresses, appliances, and other household goods that may have been damaged by floodwaters for collection. WastePro crews will be out across the City conducting this special bulk pick up. Items should be placed out in the alleyway (if you have one) or on the swale at the front of your property by 7 a.m. on Monday for collection. The 6 cubic yard limit will not apply during this special collection. If you have questions about what can be placed out for bulk collection, additional information is available at FAQs • Hollywood, FL • CivicEngage (hollywoodfl.org)
CITY OF HOLLYWOOD FACILITIES
- All City of Hollywood Community Centers, Sports Fields, Pool, Tennis Center and Golf Courses remain closed until further notice.
- All school after-care programs, sports and activities are cancelled on Friday, April 14th
- City of Hollywood parks, if accessible, are open until dusk
BROWARD COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
All Broward County Public Schools and District offices will remain closed on Friday, April 14, 2023. All afterschool activities, events, and extracurricular activities are also cancelled.
BROWARD COUNTY FACILITIES
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport reopened as of 9 a.m. Friday, April 14th.
- Several County facilities experienced impacts from recent flooding and some services remain unavailable. Call before you go.
POST FLOOD SAFETY TIPS
- Use caution with electrical appliances, electrical cords and outlets if floodwaters have impacted your home.
Residents should not wade in standing flood water, which can contain contaminants. Following a heavy storm, sharp debris and other items from overturned garbage bins could be hidden in the water and cause injury. Standing water also may contain harmful bacteria that could cause infection. Children and pets should not be allowed to play in flood water.
- Wear appropriate protective gear such as glove and boots when cleaning up flood debris. Be aware of hazards that may be hidden within debris (glass, boards with nails, power lines, sharp objects).
- Residents should prepare to notify their homeowner’s insurance providers if they experience flood damage and seek their advice on documenting the damage and drying out your home. The same applies for contacting your vehicle insurance provider if you find your vehicle has been damaged.