A federally funded beach restoration project is underway on Broward County beaches and Hollywood Beach is next in line to receive its share of 887,000 cubic yards of upland sand along the shoreline. Hollywood is included in Segment III of the Broward County Shore Protection Project to restore areas impacted by erosion and create a natural barrier against storm surge. which is currently ahead of schedule. Work is nearly complete at Von Mizell-Eula Johnson State Park. After this, work will progress to the northern part of Hollywood Beach at New Hampshire Street.
Segment III includes the following shore length boundaries:
- Dr. Von Mizell-Eula Johnson State Park: from the Port Everglades south jetty to FDEP reference (R) monument R-92
- Dania Beach/Hollywood Beach: from Dania Beach Pier to Hollywood Beach, Lee Street (R-108)
- Hollywood Beach/Hallandale Beach: from Hollywood Beach, Iris Terrace (R-119) to the south county line (R-128)
Construction is during daylight hours, basically 7 am - 6 pm. The current schedule calls for work to be conducted Monday through Friday; however, weekend work may occur if required to stay on schedule. Beach construction access and/or staging will be, at the discretionary needs of the construction vendor, from the following beach access points:
- Approximately location of R-99, Dania Beach Public Parking Lot
- Cambridge Street, Dania Beach
- Balboa Street, Hollywood Beach
- Meade Street, Hollywood Beach
- Bougainvilla Terrace, Hollywood Beach
- Magnolia Terrace (Keating Park), Hollywood Beach
- South City Beach Park, Hallandale Beach
Dog Beach In Hollywood
In the Dog Beach area(Pershing to Custer Streets), trucks will be driving at the landward edge during the project's duration. For your and your pet's safety, please ensure dogs are controlled at all times and allow for ample space between yourself and utility vehicles. It will be necessary to temporarily close the dog beach when sand placement occurs within the designated boundaries.
For additional information, please visit the dedicated webpage.