Flood Watch Issued for Hollywood
The National Weather Service (NWS) has placed the Hollywood area under a Flood Watch through Tuesday evening. The NWS is forecasting the possibility of heavy rain this evening and tomorrow for the South Florida area including Hollywood. Due to its low elevation as a coastal city, many areas of Hollywood are prone to flooding. Currently, the risk of flooding is elevated due to ground saturation from the heavy rains that occurred this past weekend with some areas of the City getting more than 14 inches of rainfall on Friday and Saturday.
The NWS warns the impact of the forecasted rain could lead to extensive street flooding with storm drains and ditches become clogged with debris. City of Hollywood crews have been out preparing for additional rain, checking pumps and clearing storm drains. Residents who are able can assist by ensuring storm drains near their homes are cleared of debris.
Flood Safety Tips
• Call 911 if floodwater impacts your home and creates an emergency situation such as a fire.
• Motorists should not attempt to drive through flooded areas. Remember, "Turn Around, Don't Drown."
• Use caution with electrical appliances, electrical cords and outlets if floodwaters have entered your home.
• Residents should not wade in standing flood water, which can contain contaminants. Following a heavy storm, sharp debris and other items from overturned garbage bins could be hidden in the water and cause injury. Standing water also may contain harmful bacteria that could cause infection. Children and pets should not be allowed to play in flood water.
• Residents should prepare to notify their homeowner’s insurance providers if they experience flood damage and seek their advice on documenting the damage and drying out your home. The same applies for contacting your vehicle insurance provider if you find your vehicle has been damaged.
Sign Up for Alert Hollywood Emergency Notifications
The City of Hollywood has launched a new emergency notification system called Alert Hollywood. Used by many government agencies throughout Florida, Alert Hollywood notifies residents through phone calls, e-mails and/or text messages to mobile phones of an emergency in the community such as a hurricane watch or warning, flash flood warning, tornado warning, serious police situations and other critical incidents.
SIGN UP for Alert Hollywood - on the registration page, click on the "Sign Up" link located just below the login fields. After you submit your information, you will receive Alert Hollywood notifications whenever an alert is issued. Alerts may be received by phone and/or email address. Severe weather alerts issued by the National Weather Service are automatically issued through the Alert Hollywood system if you elect to receive those notifications.
The Alert Hollywood service is free to the public. Text message fees by your wireless carrier may apply depending on your mobile phone plan.