Sustainability Advisory Committee
The purpose of the Sustainability Advisory Committee is to make recommendations to the City Commission on the development of environmental goals and the implementation of plans to reach those goals. The Committee also promotes environmental awareness and Hollywood's environmental accomplishments. To see our current members and recent meeting minutes, visit the City Clerk's page.
Green Building Ordinance - The Sustainability Advisory Committee worked closely with City staff to improve the City’s Code by encouraging green practices in new developments and major renovations. The requirements and recommendations in the City’s green building ordinance are consistent with LEED standards. Green buildings effectively address environmental issues. Conventional buildings use over 70% of all electricity consumed. Green buildings cost less than their conventional counterparts over their lifetimes because of energy and water savings. In addition, people on average spend 90% of their time inside buildings. Green buildings provide healthier environments for their inhabitants than conventional buildings. Furthermore, encouraging green building practices in Hollywood ensures that as we grow we are becoming the sustainable city we envision. Read more about our Green Building Ordinance here.
Commercial Recycling Ordinance - As of October 2015, recycling is mandatory for commercial establishments and multi-family residences. The Sustainability Advisory Committee worked to develop this ordinance with City staff. Learn more about recycling in Hollywood on the Public Works page.
- Funtastic Friday Celebrates Earth and Arbor Days - Every April the Sustainability Advisory Committee takes over Funtastic Friday adding environmental education and activities to the weekly family fun.
- Arbor Day - The Committee helps the City maintain its Tree City USA status by helping with the annual Arbor Day tree planting.
- Environmental Speakers - Every year the Sustainability Advisory Committee hosts an environmental lecture open to the public to educate and inform on topics of interest and concern to Hollywood. Past speakers have included Dr. Jennifer Jurardo of Broward County and Caroline Lewis of the CLEO Institute.
- 2020: Community Workshop on Climate Legislation. Video coming soon!
- 2019: Broward County's Regional Resilience Standards and Proposed Minimum Seawall Height Policy. VIDEO
- 2018: Our Environmental Future: Borrowing From Our Future Generations - Views From Today's Young Leaders. VIDEO
- 2017: A Bipartisan View: Moving Environmental Issues Forward in the Current Political Climate. VIDEO
- 2016: From the Sawgrass to the Seagrass. VIDEO
- 2015: Planning for Climate Change Resilience in Broward County. VIDEO
Meeting Agendas and Minutes
View Most Recent Meeting Agenda and Minutes l View All Meeting Agendas and Minutes