- Green Business
For businesses in Hollywood that embrace green principles, there are several options available to obtain recognition for their efforts.
Ocean Friendly Restaurants
The Surfrider Foundation is offering their Ocean Friendly Restaurant Certification to any restaurant meeting the criteria. Ocean Friendly restaurants reduce solid waste produced and the use of single use non-biodegradable products. By reducing the use of these items, restaurants reduce the potential that these items end up as marine debris - plastic in the oceans that poses a physical hazard or that can be ingested by marine life.
Businesses participating MUST follow these SEVEN criteria:
- Only reusable foodware is used for onsite dining.*
- Paper straws are provided only upon request.**
- No expanded polystyrene use (aka Styrofoam).
- No plastic bags are used for takeout or to-go orders.
- Single-use utensils, straws, condiments, and other accessory items are provided only upon request.
- Beverages are not sold in plastic bottles.
- Proper recycling practices are followed.
* Foodware includes dinnerware, drinkware, silverware, and ramekins/containers.
** Exceptions may be made for naturally occurring materials (e.g. hay, bamboo) and reusables (e.g. metal, glass), not including bio-based plastic. Straws should be provided to anyone who needs one, including people with disabilities.
AND they MUST choose a minimum of THREE of these criteria as well:
- A discount is offered for customers with a reusable item (e.g. cup, container, bag).
- Vegetarian and vegan food options are offered on a regular basis.
- All seafood is ‘Best Choice’ or ‘Good Alternative’ as defined by Seafood Watch, or no seafood is served.*
- Water conservation and pollution mitigation efforts are implemented.**
- Energy efficiency efforts are in place.***
- Concessions and pre-packaged food items are not sold in plastic packaging.
- Composting efforts are in place for food waste.
- Neither single-use plastic nor bio-based plastic containers are used for takeout or to-go orders, reusable containers are preferred.
* Locally sourced, sustainable seafood is preferred and should be prioritized when Seafood Watch recommendations do not apply.
** Examples include installing low-flow faucets and toilets, offering drinking water upon request only, no hosing down outside to reduce urban runoff, proper disposal of FOG, and up-to-date septic or sewage to prevent wastewater pollution.
*** Examples include switching to LED lighting, installing solar panels, using Energy Star certified appliances and/or other efforts to use less energy.
*** Implement all of these criteria to be recognized as a Platinum Level Ocean Friendly Restaurant! ***
Tools for achieving Ocean Friendly certification.
For more information, read the letter sent to all CRA businesses
Florida Green Lodging Program
The Florida Green Lodging program is a voluntary initiative of the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) that designates and recognizes lodging facilities that make a commitment to conserve and protect Florida's natural resources. Designated facilities must implement environmental practices in five areas of sustainable operations:
- Communication and Education (Customers, Employees, Public)
- Waste Reduction, Reuse, and Recycling
- Water Conservation
- Energy Efficiency
- Indoor Air Quality