For businesses in Hollywood that embrace green principles, there are several options available to obtain recognition for their efforts.
Ocean Friendly Restaurants
The Surfrider Foundation is offering their Ocean Friendly Restaurant Certification to any restaurant meeting the criteria. Ocean Friendly restaurants reduce solid waste produced and the use of single use non-biodegradable products. By reducing the use of these items, restaurants reduce the potential that these items end up as marine debris - plastic in the oceans that poses a physical hazard or that can be ingested by marine life.
Businesses participating MUST follow these FOUR criteria:
- No expanded polystyrene (aka Styrofoam) used.
- Only reusable tableware is used onsite for onsite dining. Utensils for to-go food are only provided upon request.
- Proper recycling practices are strictly followed throughout the restaurant.
- No plastic bags offered for take-out or to-go orders.
- Straws are only provided by request.
AND they MUST choose a minimum of TWO of these criteria as well:
- No beverages sold in plastic bottles.
- Discount offered for customers with reusable cup, mug, bag, etc.
- Vegetarian/vegan food options are offered on a regular basis.
- All seafood must be a “Best Choice” or “Good Alternative” as defined by Seafood Watch or certified as sustainable.
- Water conservation efforts such as low-flow faucets and toilets are implemented.
- Energy efficiency efforts such as LED lighting or Energy Star appliances in combination with compliance to sea turtle season (March 1-Oct 31 in Broward County) beach lighting requirements.
*** Implement all 11 of these criteria to be recognized as a Platinum Level Ocean Friendly Restaurant! ***
Florida Green Lodging Program
The Florida Green Lodging program is a voluntary initiative of the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) that disignates and recognizes lodging facilities that make a commitment to conserve and protect Florida's natural resources. Designated facilities must implement environmental practives in five areas of sustainable operations:
- Communication and Education (Customers, Employees, Public)
- Waste Reduction, Reuse, and Recycling
- Water Conservation
- Energy Efficiency
- Indoor Air Quality